Your mother should formally request the society for documents
Image Source:

The Private Client team at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas shares their comments and opinions shared in an article in the  following Q&A which was published by the Mint Newspaper on 03rd March, 2021 and the online edition of the same can be found here.

We are three brothers who inherited a freehold property in 2003 through a duly registered will. We got the property mutated in our joint names with the municipal authority for payment of annual property tax, jointly. We decided to rebuild it into three dwelling units. The Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) sanctioned these plans, and we have obtained the completion certificate. We entered into written family agreements for the partition of our shares by draw of lots. However, some disputes arose before its enforcement, which were settled through the mediation and reconciliation centre (MRC) of the Delhi High Court. This memorandum of understanding (MoU) is the agreed settled ownership. We got our shares registered individually with the MCD and have been paying property tax.

To get our rights of individual titles, do we have to get it registered with the sub-registrar? If so, is stamp duty payable?

Where would the ownership records be available after our deaths if the property is not registered with the sub-registrar, but the registration has been done with the municipality?

—Subhash Kumar

Continue Reading Your mother should formally request the society for documents

Primacy of family settlements upheld

Family settlements and ensuing documentation have been a subject matter of litigation for various reasons. One such litigious issue is whether the documents pertaining to family settlements are required to be registered under the Registration Act, 1908 (“Act”). If a document, which was otherwise required to be compulsorily registered, has not been registered, then as per Section 49 of the Act, such document would not affect any immovable property comprised therein, or confer any power to adopt, or be received as an admissible evidence of any transaction recorded in the document. The consequential issue that has evolved is whether the documents recording family arrangements are required to be registered. Recently, the Supreme Court (“SC”), in the case of Ravinder Kaur Grewal & Others. v. Manjit Kaur & Ors.,[1] has held that a memorandum of family settlement, which merely records the terms of a family settlement already acted upon by the concerned parties, is not required to be registered.
Continue Reading Primacy of Family Settlements Upheld