Can I show my rental income in HUF account

The following article was first published in the Mint newspaper on 16th May, 2022. The same was written by our Private Client team at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, who frequently publish their comments and opinions in the Mint. The online version of the article can be found here.

I am the karta of a Hindu Undivided Family (HUF) firm. My coparceners are my wife and son. I am retired and only have rental income from a house inherited from my mother through her probated will. 

Can I show my rental income in my HUF bank account? And, as and when I sell that house, can I show the sale proceeds in the HUF account? For this, do I need to transfer the  house to HUF? If yes, then what is the procedure? Isn’t the property automatically treated as HUF property, as I am also the karta of the HUF? 

What process is required to be followed in case the property is to be bequeathed after the demise of the testator which is as per the registered Will in Delhi after the mutation has been done in the municipal records. It needs to be further clarified whether the process of probate is also to be followed in Delhi or if a succession certificate is sufficient and who would issue the same?

We assume you’re the sole legatee/inheritor of the house under your mom’s Will. Given that the house is bequeathed to you in your individual capability, and not to your HUF, the ownership of the house will vest in you, and not in the HUF.