Property Law

The following article was first published in the Mint newspaper on 14th June, 2022. The same was written by our Private Client team at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, who frequently publish their comments and opinions in the Mint. The online version of the article can be found here.

I am an Indian, but my brother settled down in Bangladesh 30 years ago and is now a citizen there. He wants to gift me the property that he inherited here after the demise of our father. What is the process for this transaction?

— Name withheld on request

Continue Reading Can my brother living in Bangladesh gift me land inherited here?

Until death do us part’ - Can a celebrity’s publicity rights be inherited

After a while you learn that privacy is something you can sell, but you can’t buy it back.”

-Bob Dylan.

Every celebrity possesses a universal and intangible asset – their public image. They spend years cultivating it and protect it fiercely. Like a game of chess, every public interaction becomes a calculated move. However, can this ‘asset’ be inherited?
Continue Reading ‘Until death do us part’: Can a celebrity’s publicity rights be inherited?

The Private Client team at Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas shares their comments and opinions shared in an article in the  following Q&A which was published by the Mint Newspaper on 26th May, 2020 and the online edition of the same can be found here.

My parents have a flat in a housing society in Gurugram and it’s in their joint names. My father is no more and according to his Will (not registered or probated but notarized and on stamp paper with two witnesses), all his property and wealth went to my mother. Now, she has a Will, dividing all her fixed and movable wealth among her three children. If we need to sell the property after our mother dies, what are the steps we should take for smooth sale? The conveyance deed is original, with the names of both my parents. Since we do not live in Gurugram, we want to avoid running around to different departments. Can you give us the right procedure? Is there any agency that can help us in Gurugram? Will there be any tax liability at the point of sale? Who will need to bear it?

—Anshi Dorairaj

Continue Reading Without a Will, all Class 1 heirs inherit equal share in a property

Supreme Court on rights of Hindu Muslim Interfaith Children

The Supreme Court of India, in the case of Mohammed Salim vs Shamsudeen[1], has finalised the views of a number of High Courts by ruling that a child born out of the marriage of a Muslim man and Hindu woman is legitimate and the child is entitled to inherit the property of the father.

This is a very significant judgment in the current socio-cultural milieu, even though inter-faith marriages are still deeply frowned upon.

Inheritance Rights of a Child Born Out of an Irregular Marriage under Muslim Personal Laws

All matters (except those relating to agricultural land) with respect to intestate succession, special property of females, including personal property inherited or obtained under contract or gift or any other provision of personal law, marriage, dissolution of marriage, maintenance, dower, gifts etc., of Muslim followers are governed by the Muslim Personal Law (Shariat) Application Act, 1937 (Shariat).  Shariat extends to the whole of India except the state of Jammu & Kashmir. 
Continue Reading Supreme Court on the Rights of Inter-faith (Hindu-Muslim) Children